I don’t do a lot of recipes here on PersonalReboot, but this one is good enough to share. I’ve never eaten cauliflower before we tried this – not even off of a veggie plate with ranch dip. I’ve been completely uninterested in that odd-looking white abomination of the vegetable family…
First get yourself one of these:
Secondly – something like this grill top smoke box will enhance ALL of your grilling.
Here’s what you do:
- Cut up your cauliflower head into small florets – it doesn’t really matter how big or small, but they should be universal in size (tough to do but try). The larger the pieces the more heat and smoke they will be able to take and still have some tenderness inside.
- Put your “cauliflower-shrapnel” into a big ziploc bag, and marinate with your vinegrette of choice. Any basic salad dressing will do, but I like something really simple, like garlic, southwest seasoning rub, lime juice, water, and a touch of olive oil. Marinate for a couple of hours.
- Get your grill hot – I have a very basic gas grill, but get your grill wok oiled and warm and your smoke box up to temperature. If you soak your wood chips you’ll get more smoke, but it will take a lot longer for that to occur (I usually go dry).
- When ready – slam that cauliflower down on the grill! By now your smoke box should be going good, but again you really don’t need it. The throw-off marinade should flash some flames up onto your wok and it’ll be all good!
- Move your cauliflower periodically – you should be browning them evenly, but if smoking be sure not to open the grill hood TOO MUCH (you lose your smoke every time you do that.
- You can cook as thoroughly as you like – we like ours pretty cooked through and crunchy.
Thank me later – this is really a cool way to enjoy a pretty plain-vanilla veggie!